NOTE: These instructions will disable all internet browsing for the affected users
Disable the user's ability to change the settings on Internet Explorer
Open up the Group Policy Editor and create an Internet Explorer Security Policy
- Go to Computer Configuration, Policies, Administrative Templates, Internet Explorer, Internet Control Panel
- Here you are able to disable the various tabs of Internet Explorer Options. If you enable the specific tab's policy then you are disabling that tab for the user. If you disable all the tabs then nothing opens when you select Internet Options.
Set a Proxy Server using a Login Script:
1. Create a file called SetProxy.reg and enter in the following text:
Note: The Proxy Server has been set to 0.0.0.0:80 - By doing this we are telling the browser to use a non existent proxy server to get its web pages from. This effectively stops Browsing.
2. Call the file above using a bat file with the following:
regedit /s %0\..\SetProxy.reg
3. You may find that you are unable to run the batch file across a UNC path. If this is the case you can disable it by making the following changes to the registry.
NOTE: This does reduce your overall security so you may not want to do it. As always please backup the registry key before you make any changes.
add the value DisableUNCCheck REG_DWORD and set the value to 0 x 1 (Hex).
Please also ensure that users do not have the right to execute .REG files otherwise one or two smart ones will be able to reverse the changes.