If you get a situation where the followign is true your TCP IP stack may need to be reset to the original system settings. TCP/IP can sometimes become damaged or corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.
- No Internet access - Your browser hangs
- Many of your "automatic" system services are not started
- When you try and start your DNS service you get a "Error 10107: a system call that should never fail has failed." error
- Trying to start the event viewer gives you a "Error 1747: the authentication service is unknown"
The solution is as follows:
- start an administrator command prompt (start -> search for cmd -> right-click -> “run as administrator”)
- once the command prompt (black box) starts, type:
- netsh winsock reset
- then reboot the computer.